Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Read your scriptures!

I'm not really into New Year's resolutions. But I like the thought of goals. One of my goals is to read the Book of Mormon in 60 days. I am not expecting to receive deep insight or reveal new doctrines. But I do expect to become reacquainted with a beloved book. I do expect to feel the Spirit again in my life. I expect to have these 60 days help me to create a habit of turning to the scriptures more.

I couldn't sleep this morning, so at 4 am, I was dinking around on the computer and came across this website. Perhaps you know of it. But if you don't, look around. It's free and has a lot of features.

http://www.readthescriptures.com/


One of the things I like about it is you can set up a reading schedule and it will email you so that you can read it online, listen to it online, or just be reminded to read it (in your own scriptures if you prefer). There is also a way to mark the online scriptures with highlighter and notes. It keeps track of your notes. There's a journal and the ability to form a group to discuss the scriptures you are reading together.

Anyway, I began my 60 days today. I'm hoping I don't become a dork and skip a day thinking that I'll make it up. I find that if I do that, I tend to fall even further behind and then get discouraged and quit altogether.

If you join and decide you'd to form a group, let me know and I'll join the group. I'm all about others kicking me in the tush to help me with my goals.

So, whatever you decide to do, just do it--read your scriptures!

4 comments:

~pollyanna said...

I'll join you...

I've been using this program to read the SS lesson scriptures for years... used it to meet Pres Hinckley's challenge a while back and for personal and couple's study reminders too... Interestingly enough, I had been looking for some inspiration on how to approach reading the Book of Mormon this year... (I've done it differently every year, for the last 10) Daughter and I did a chapter a week a few years ago, and that was REALLY great.. we shared an "impressions journal"...

I just set my profile up to read it in 60 starting today... so now I better get reading...

Melinda said...

You guys are ambitious and impressive. I'll just sit back and watch you. I read scriptures most days, but starting a program is a guarantee that I'll quit. I'm lame that way.

~pollyanna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
~pollyanna said...

Forget that last comment... I misread the assignment reference... The assignment did end with chapter 10...