Thursday, January 8, 2009

Feel like makin' bread!

The title is not what you think.

When I was at BYU, there were about 5-6 of us that would gather on Sunday evenings and sing. One guy brought his guitar and he would play chords as we sang various songs. We had some really good singers and had sopranos, altos, baritones, tenors, basses.

One Sunday after a fireside by Elder Packer (he spoke on chastity), we gathered as normal. Chad decided to play the chords from a song he just learned. All of us knew the song and began to sing/harmonize:

Baby, when I think about you
I think about love
Darlin, dont live without you
And your love
If I had those golden dreams
Of my yesterdays
I would wrap you in the heaven
till Im dyin on the way

Feel like makin
Feel like makin love
Feel like makin love to you

As we sang the chorus, we realized what we were singing. Suddenly, the whole group stopped as if a conductor had cut us off. We discussed how after hearing Elder Packer talk about chastity, that perhaps singing about making love wasn't appropriate.

So, we decided to come up with our own lyrics. Each person took a turn to make up a verse and chorus. The one that "won" was "Feel like makin' bread." I don't remember the lyrics now, but I remember singing about the smell and melted butter.

I love this group and love this song. However, whenever I hear it, my mind changes the chorus from "feel like makin' love" to "feel like makin' bread."

No comments: