Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Don't Talk to Strangers

I belong to a few online forums. For those who don't know, a forum is a place to express thoughts and ideas, usually on a topic. I belong to primarily LDS forums--I don't want to be involved in a place that is immoral or uses language I'd rather not hear (read).

I ran across my first forum by accident. I was looking online for something and ran across the website www.nauvoo.com. I thought it was a website about Nauvoo, IL. What I found instead was a group of people who had firm testimonies, strong opinions, and a desire to be perfected in Christ. I "lurked" for a long time (meaning, I read the forum, but never participated). Finally, I decided to join and have a chance to interact with them.

Last year, I began communicating with one of the posters from Nauvoo. Through emails and chatting, we really got to know one another. When I decided to go to Utah for Education Week, she offered her house as a hotel. I also got to know a couple of others from Nauvoo and one of them offered a resort to share the cost of staying near BYU. I thought it was a great opportunity to meet new people and make new friends.

My friends at home thought I had lost my mind. They were appalled that I had agreed to not only communicate with complete strangers, but actually stay with them. I never once had any misgivings about any of the people with whom I would stay. What I found difficult to explain was that I really believed them to be members of the church who were honorable. They asked me how I knew they weren't lying to me. The Church has its own jargon--very distinct. It's usually pretty easy to spot someone who is lying because they will use the jargon inappropriately very quickly. Since they don't belong to any organization like the Church, they couldn't understand my explanation of the jargon. Not to mention that the gift of the Holy Ghost adds an assurance.

That experience made me realize what blessing the Church is in another unexpected manner. I've been to church services in many places including Washington DC, Florida, Hawaii, Bulgaria, Columbia, California, etc. Although there are some differences, they are minor. I know exactly what to expect in each ward I attend. In addition, I can know when someone is actually a member of the church and have a level of trust with that person. There are no guarantees in life nor are there perfect people, however, knowing someone is a faithful member of the Church allows me to know things about that person. And I can trust that part of that person.

I'm grateful to the church for so many reasons. One of which is my ability to "know" someone instantly when I learn they are faithful members of the Lord's Church.

5 comments:

Melinda said...

That's cool. I have that level of trust too, and people who don't have online friends just don't understand that those are genuine friendships as well.

You know I met Dirk on Nauvoo. Well, when we first went out, I gave him my address so he could come pick me up. After, I thought, "holy cow! I gave my address to some guy off the Internet! I never do that!" Usually, I arranged to meet an online date someplace neutral, but I gave Dirk my address without even thinking about it twice. I consoled myself that he was a nauvoodle, and not just some guy from a dating website. And yes, he did turn out to be a decent guy, so it was okay I gave him my address.

Beefche said...

I hope he turned out to be a decent guy...you married him! :D

I also love the small world the Church places us in. Meeting you and finding out that I "know" your parents; meeting another Nauvoodle and finding out I "know" her cousins; meeting a co-worker and finding out that we are both Mormons. It's fun to play the "do you know..." game when meeting other members of the Church.

But, the downside is that everyone thinks Mitt Romney and I know each other personally....

Michael Larsen said...

Yeah, I get the same reaction from people as well. If I'm a member, I must know [fill in the blank]. Actually, it's not that out of the question here in the SF Bay Area, since the church population on the Peninsula is relatively small, most people actually *do* know everyone else (LOL!). I've had a similar reaction to other people online. Knowing they are LDS just gives me a different sense about them. I was excited to find out the lady who made my daughter's dresses for Pow Wows is also a member.

Funny Farmer said...

Yes, well - my husband had a similar, although somehwat muted reaction to my inviting you to stay at our house. He said, "I hope this person is who you really think she is, because you have just given her access to our children!" That thought had never occurred to me, because I was so sure that you were authentic that I wasn't at all concerned about opening my house to you.

~pollyanna said...

It's interesting that I have shared parts of my life with some of my online friends which I would never share with people in my own ward, because they have proven themselves to be untrustworthy.... Is it weird that I trust a "few" people that I have come to know through the spirit, but who belong to a virtual world more than I do some that I know in real life?

I am grateful for the gospel than the gift of the Lord's spirit which has made the world a smaller place... Maybe it is a glimpse of how heaven will work...

I am still pretty distrusting in nature, mostly because of some past experiences... but there are some people I have come to know I can trust... and they are not always members, and very often do not live near me at all... but the spirit has always confirmed that trust... what a great blessing...