Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Hick or Haute Couture?

I was watching one of my favorite channels, The Food Network. Rachel Ray has a new show (yes, her 1,385th) in which she and her husband go to a city on vacation and eat. Recently, they were in Montreal eating at these fancy restaurants. You know the kind. A huge plate with 2 oz of food in the middle and drizzled oil or something to decorate the plate.

Anyway, this restaurant was named "Pied de Cochon." It sounds so nice...it's French so it sounds wonderful. Do you know what it means? It means "The Pig's Foot."

That made me think. Here in Indiana, a restaurant called "The Pig's Foot" would be a barbecue joint that used paper napkins, plastic forks, and served pulled pork sandwiches and greens. In Montreal, this place served fish egg decorated plates of gold plated salmon--literally--there's a gold leaf that you can eat.

I was reminded of an anniversary party I went to a couple of years ago. It was the 50th anniversary of a lady at work. They had a to-do at a hotel which catered a three course dinner. Very nice ambiance.

While being served our dinner, I remarked to my cow-orker next to me that my family is very different from this family. My family would have an anniversary party in our backyard with paper plates and soda cans. Our entertainment would have been each member of our family making fun of another member of the family (oftentimes, I fall in the latter category). Instead, I ate a three course dinner, refusing offers of wine of various vines, while being regaled with tales of adventure and culture of this couple as they celebrated 50 years together.

Although I was able to fit in nicely, I think I would enjoy "The Pig's Foot" more than "Pied de Cochon". It's fun to dress up and have professionally prepared food. I enjoy celebrating accomplishments of my friends. But I have to say that I'm a hick--raised in a barn, dyed in the wool, slap your momma hick. Let me eat with my fingers, drink soda out of a Mason jar, wear my jeans and feel the grass under my bare feet--that's talking to my hick heart.

2 comments:

Michael Larsen said...

I'm with ya there ;). Not sure I'd classify myself as a "hick" per se, but I'm much more comfortable with the comfort foods and low pretensions. Super fancy places just feel stifling, plus you pay way too much for what you get. Amadillo Willy's over Chez Panisse any day. Heck, I'll take a Mission Street Burrito over just about any chi-chi meal any day... you just plain get more food for your money :).

~pollyanna said...

seems silly to day it... but "ditto".