Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Doing a lot of thinking...

It's been a while since I last posted. During that time, I've made some changes. Some are still in progress, but I'm ok with that.

One of the things that I decided to change was my efforts regarding my spiritual life. I've had some issues the past few years that have affected my spirit. And I didn't like those changes. I made half-hearted attempts in the past, but finally decided that I had to do something. So, I had a good talk with my Heavenly Father and we (ok, I) came to an understanding that I'm not perfect. Yep, it's true, despite what you're thinking. I make mistakes and I can't beat myself up over them as much as I do.

Earlier, I said that I wanted to read the Book of Mormon in 60 days. Thanks to a great friend who kept me on target (thanks, Polly!!), I was able to accomplish that. It felt good to accomplish a simple goal. In fact, I felt so good about it, that I immediately set another goal to read it again in 90 days. I also made the goal to read the November 2008 Ensign prior to going to General Conference. I completed my reading of the Ensign and I'm doing great on my BoM reading.

Professional counseling has helped a lot with some of my issues. In fact, I'm not sure that I'll be going back any time soon. I spoke with my counselor and he agreed that he didn't see a need for it right now. I still have some issues (who doesn't??), but feel better about them.

There were several talks in the conference issue that struck me, but there was a statement that stood out for me. It's from Elder Christofferson's talk on Zion: "To come to Zion, it is not enough for you or me to be somewhat less wicked than others. We are to become not only good but holy men and women. Recalling Elder Neal A. Maxwell’s phrase, let us once and for all establish our residence in Zion and give up the summer cottage in Babylon (see Neal A. Maxwell, A Wonderful Flood of Light [1990], 47)."

I've decided to destroy that summer cottage. As with any demolition, it's taking some time. A wall knocked down here, a window smashed there, but it's coming along. Sometimes, I look around and think about how much I loved the cottage, but then the filth of it reminds me of why it needs to be eradicated.

With General Conference coming soon, I am looking forward to hearing the Lord speak to me. He always does--some of those prophets prepare their talks specifically for me. I'm special that way--the Lord knows how much help I need so He sends His prophets to talk to me. I'm sure General Conference is for you too, but just know that some of those talks are for me.

1 comment:

Melinda said...

Good for you on making hard changes. I'm glad to hear the counseling and the renewed spiritual efforts are doing you so much good. I also found it helpful to talk to a therapist. It didn't solve all my issues either, but it gave me a different approach on how to handle them.

I've also renewed my spiritual efforts. For me, my goal was to reread the New Testament with the purpose of finding out what Christ was like. I would always read it as an instruction manual - what should I do? That's good to do, and we are taught that. But my current focus is simply a different direction. I'm learning more about the nature of Christ, and that makes it easier to do the things he wants me to do. It's changing my perspective. I'm happy for you that God is guiding you too, through the scriptures.

We're looking forward to seeing you next week!