Thursday, November 6, 2008

My momma's pot roast

I had a friend who had never heard of pot roast. Huh? I had to explain that it is also called bottom roast, butt roast, several names.

You can make this in a crock pot, but I think it just tastes better in the oven. So, some day when you're going to be home for over 3 hours straight, try this.

You need:

1 beef pot roast--whatever you want to call it or is on sale
carrots
potatoes
cabbage
onion
salt and pepper
flour
brown gravy mix (optional)

Do this:

I found the easiest way to do this is to use a gallon size baggie. Put your roast in the baggie and add about a cup of flour with salt and pepper (I use about 1 large pinch of salt and I use fresh ground pepper--about 1 teaspoon). Close the baggie, then manipulate it to cover the roast. If you need, add more flour. You want the roast completely covered in flour.

Line a roasting pan with foil (for easy cleanup) and place the roast in the bottom. You can put some of the flour from the bag over the roast and around the roast (I wouldn't put more than a cup total). Put in about 1/2 cup of water. Cover the roast and bake 1 1/2 hrs at 350 degrees.

After that time, check the roast. I'll use a fork and check the meat. It shouldn't be completely done, but the fork should go in partially. I then placed quartered onion, potatoes, carrots and cabbage around the roast. Keep uncovered and add more water if necessary.

If you want to use the gravy mix, then sprinkle the dry gravy mix over the roast (you can also use it instead of the flour in the baggie) and pour 1/2-1 cup water over it. Then place the veggies around the roast.

Cook another 1-1 1/2 hrs. I will check the roast on occasion to make sure that there is sufficient water in the pan (helps make gravy and keep veggies moist) and I will even baste the veggies with the gravy in the bottom.

If you're afraid that the veggies will dry out, then cover the whole thing for the last bit, but take off the covering for the last 1/2 hr. You want the top of the roast to be roasted a little--add yummy flavor.

You'll need some good rolls to sop up the gravy. Oh, yummy in my tummy!

No comments: