Thursday, November 27, 2008

I can cook, I promise!

I know...I know. You're still munching on turkey and dressing. But, I was reminded recently of this exchange I had with my mom.

One year for Thanksgiving, I was discussing the menu with my mom. As she covered every conceivable dish for the day, I finally asked her what I could bring. I was excited to contribute to our feast as I had a new home with a great kitchen in which I could concoct a fantastic dish.

Mom thought for a while and kept pointing out that all the sides were covered. I insisted and finally said, "Mom! I want to bring something besides drinks! What can I bring?" She finally relented and said that I could bring cole slaw. I said, "Great! I can make cole slaw." She then informed me, "Ummm, honey? Your dad and I love Long John Silver's cole slaw. Couldn't you just go there and buy some?"

Did you know that you can't buy LJS cole slaw in any size besides the individual size? Yeah, I found out as I bought 10 of them for our Thanksgiving dinner. The lady behind the counter couldn't stop laughing as I told her the reason behind my request. She kept giggling at my pitiful story of how my mom didn't want me to make anything for dinner.

No comments: