Sunday, October 12, 2008

Jumping my battery

I returned from my trip to paradise. It was fabulous! When I get a chance, I'll post some pics and stories.

I returned home to find that my car battery had given up the ghost. My friend, who used my car to take me to the airport, left my lights on all week long. Thankfully, my cute-younger-than-me-and-so-out-of-my-league neighbor was home (he's a cop--have I mentioned my previous obsession with police officers???--it doesn't help with my infatuation with Cute Boy). He was able to jump my battery (I mean my car battery! although my battery gets a little jump when I see him).

I then traveled to Kansas City MO the next day to work 2.5 weeks in training new employees. While there, during lunch, one of the guys who works in the lunchroom and I struck up a conversation. He complimented me on my eyes and then asked me out! Whoa! That hasn't happened in...well...longer than I care to admit.

I was very flattered and although he seems nice enough, not truly interested. First and most importantly, he is not a member of the Church. The scary thing is, I actually considered accepting simply to stroke my ego.

I realized that as a woman I loved getting compliments from anyone. I often get compliments on things in which I have utter confidence--my work abilities, my testimony, my social behavior, etc. But, those things in which I have little confidence craves attention. As a single woman in the Church, women pay me compliments often--men do not. I don't meet single men in the Church (at least not of a legal age) and married men do not compliment me (rightfully so!).

As I contemplated his offer of a date, I thought of accepting to have something to do while in another city, or to go out on a date--something I haven't done in a very long time. But I realized that my desires were very selfish--I was thinking of what I could receive from a simple date. I didn't even consider that by accepting I may be implying more of an interest. Hadn't I always told myself that I wouldn't date non-members?

As I traveled home, I worried that my car battery would need to be jumped again. After all, it had been sitting a very long time without a spark. I laughed as I realized that my own battery had received a jump after an extended time period without a spark. My car battery had kept its juice and started easily. How long will my personal battery last with its latest jumpstart???

No comments: