Friday, October 31, 2008

Don't be hatin'


I really debated on posting this. I typically don't comment on any books I read because I enjoy reading and I want people to read. I don't want someone to discourage anyone from reading. But I was so appalled by the overwhelming cheers from thousands of LDS women and teen girls that I have to comment on Twilight.

I'm definitely behind the times. Twilight came out awhile ago (2006?), but I hadn't really heard of it until last year when I went to Utah. Then I couldn't get away from it. After a couple of friends encouraged me (i.e. browbeat me into it), I finally decided to get it. But, the hold line at the library was ridiculous and I'm too cheap to buy a book that I'm not sure I'll like. So, for my trip to Hawaii, I finally found a copy from a Young Woman in my ward. Her well-used copy was placed in my suitcase and off I went.

For those who don't know (is there ANYONE who doesn't?) the story is about a teen girl, Bella, who meets a vampire, Edward. They fall in love and the fun begins.

I'll try not to give too much away, but let's face it: it's a love story--boy meets girl, they fall in love, some type of obstacle comes up and they overcome it to live happily ever after.

So, let me just tell you what irks me about this book. Why does Bella love Edward? Let me quote her, "....he looked like he'd just finished shooting a commercial for hair gel. His dazzling face was friendly, open, a slight smile on his flawless lips." That was Bella's thoughts when she first met Edward. And it never changed. She always thought about his beauty, his perfectness. She never talked or thought about any of his characteristics. She declared her love before she even knew much about him.

Why does Edward love Bella? Well, to put it succinctly....because she smells good. He is addicted to her blood (notice not just blood, but her blood calls to him). He struggles throughout the book to resist the call of her blood.

This book is very sensual. True, they don't do the deed, but I can tell you my heart beat faster in some parts of the book. Is it appropriate that a person you are dating to purposely arouse you? And then turns his/her back and actually tells you that it's your fault? Where I come from, that person is called a tease (well, the G-rated version of a name). It's wrong. Lust and arousal are natural feelings, but we are taught to control them and to take care to not invoke those feelings in others.

But Edward has no hesitation to tempt Bella, then caution her to control herself. There was one scene that really torked me. Edward is kissing her neck (hello! girls are pretty sensitive on their neck!) and telling her all the reasons he can't be with her. He then tells her that she has to control herself around him so he won't bite her. What?!? You're kissing my neck, and telling me that I need to be careful so you won't bite me? What about controlling yourself? You could start by not kissing my neck or placing us in situations that would be tempting. Why does Bella have to have the responsibility in this relationship?

Another point that bugged me. Edward was over 80 years old. He "died" when he was 17, so he looked seventeen, but he has lived and experienced life for over 80 years. Wouldn't you think that he was mature and thought/felt as an adult? Then why is he interested in a 17 year old girl? Doesn't that seem a little...perverted? I suppose I wouldn't have as big a problem if she were older, but as a 17 year old, she is still a child in many ways. Why would an 80 year old be interested in a 17 year old? Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.

I'll finish with one other thing that I just didn't like. Bella's attitude regarding her parents was horrific. She only calls them Mom and Dad to their face--to everyone else, she uses their first name. She thinks her father is a redneck who is just there to provide a house for her--she has to take care of him. She thinks her mother is incompetent and even mentally challenged.

Here's the thing. I see how teens can be drawn in with this book. Bella considers herself an outcast, loner, different than the other kids. Nearly all teen girls feel that way about themselves--no matter how popular, smart, or accomplished they may be. Teen girls are notorious for having low self esteem. They can relate to Bella. And Edward has the swoon factor--he's gorgeous. It's every girl's dream that the hot, mysterious, and brooding older guy notices her uniqueness and chooses her over all the other beautiful girls.

But, isn't this book just contributing to the problem that people have of not understanding love? Relating romance and lust/instant attraction to a true unselfish, unconditional love that will last through the hard times? I suppose if you're looking for fluff reading, then Twilight will fulfill that want. But, I can't get past some real issues that I have with this book. I can't bring myself to even desire to read the rest of the series. I have to admit that I'm actually sorry that I didn't like this book--I love vampire stories (good-looking men sucking on my neck thrills me).

Ok, friends, bring it on...tell me where I'm wrong (even though I know I'm right).

13 comments:

~pollyanna said...

I still haven't been enticed to read these books... Your review makes me think all over again that I will not like it... so why bother... My "to read" list is long enough without reading books I will be disappointed in... that said I know an awful lot of women (from teens to 50 yr old grammas...) that read and liked the book...

That really doesn't change that I really have had no desire to read this... and I can't even tell you why...

Michael Larsen said...

Well, my son and wife are firmly i nthe camp of those that enjoy these books, but honestly, I think it's more for your last sentence than anything else... it's a story about vampires. I really don't see anything I could dispute with your critique, and for the most part my sona dn wife also see them as fun fluff, but little more.

As for me, I'm a true geek, I'm rereading "Words from the Myths" from Isaac Asimov for the twentieth time (LOL!).

Tricia said...

Okay, we may need to have a girls night out and discuss this. Although, we could invite Jeremy too since he read the series and loved it as much as I did! I will say that I do agree with parts of your assessment, but have some different thoughts on Bella and Edward's attraction to one another. Let's chat...we really should do that anyway...even if we don't talk about Twilight!

Funny Farmer said...

Hm. I am somewhere in the middle. I enjoyed the books well enough, but I'm not in the "fan club". They were entertaining, in a teenage crush sort of way. If Bella annoys you in Twilight, I caution you not to read New Moon. I wanted to spank her for most of that book. Oh, and in Eclipse, she spends half her time trying to seduce Edward. Annoying. Breaking Dawn was better though. I'm enjoying reading the draft of Midnight Sun -- which is Edward's side of the Twilight story.

So... short answer: I'm not a hater, but not a fan.

Mary Ann said...

Well, I haven't actually read it yet. I've started it a couple of times, but I keep getting interrupted. So far there hasn't been anything compelling enough for me to keep reading.
I think it's interesting though that my 16 year old daughter wasn't impressed with the book even though most of her friends and Y.W. leaders all rave about the book. (It was actually a leader who loaned her a copy).

After reading your review of the book I can possibly see why my daughter didn't like it and it doesn't exactly entice me to want to finish it!

Beefche said...

Ok, only 2 of you have read it. I'm still waiting for Monica to comment since she's the one that introduced me to it last year--she loves this series.

I realized yesterday at church that not only did I not like this series, but I also didn't like the oh-so-popular Work and the Glory series. Hmmm, what does this say about me???

Melinda said...

I've read the whole series, just for the fun of being able to talk about it with everyone else. But I agree with your evaluation - it's a rotten love story. It's only redeeming factor is a good plot. The characters are dumb.

I try to keep my negativity to a minmum with fans, though. I refuse to rave about it, but I don't dump my gripes on the fans. I can't restrain myself from pointing out some of the idiocies, but I can compliment the plot even if I can't stand Bella and Edward.

I told my husband I wouldn't have been willing to leave the human race and marry himif he'd been a vampire,and he was okay with that. I prefer my husband to Edward.

talitha said...

I agree completely with your critique of the twilight books.

I read them all, and found myself increasing bored/annoyed/hopeless about the younger generation.

To be fair: these are written for teenagers. What is considered romantic and idyllic is different when you grow up a bit and live some real life.

They are decent brain candy...fluff and that's all. With the exception of the character's of Edward's "family." I found them interesting and moral and of some admirable qualities.

Unfortunately, the books weren't about them.

Monica said...

oh.... I guess I am a to each his own kind of a person! I personally loved them. Although I did not love the last one. Can't put my finger on why. I think along the same lines as Tricia that I think they did have more of an attraction besides just physical. But I don't know. It was just an enjoyable book series for me. (For the most part)

I still love ya Christine!!!

darthgoofy said...

In my efort to delay anything school related (like going), I'll post my two cents worth. I enjoyed these books. I have read other teen fantasy books that I enjoy a lot more, but these books were fun. I think that the physical attraction was there, but that there might have been more to the relationship than that. I thought that her relationship with her parents was a normal one (in that it is currently normal, not that it is what SHOULD be normal), but she does warm up to her parents in the other books. In fast, I think it is made very clear in the first book that she does love her mom, just that she has a hard time relating to her. Her initial thoughts of her dad are based on her mom's viewpoint of him and his location, so of course Bella will adopt that viewpoint initially. I also enjoyed Edwards family and look forward to his book. That might ease some of your concerns about the shallowness of the relationship. Finally, the storytelling lagged, especially in the 4th book. Some things were drawn out that didn;t need to be and others were glossed over... throughout the entire series. That was one thing that got to me. Anyway, the 4th book ended too quickly. It was long, but the denomaunt (I hope that is close to the real spelling) was by so quickly, I had to wonder if some of the pages had been lost. Anyway, if you and Tricia have a GNO, I'll share more with you... if you care.

Beefche said...

Thanks, Darth. You have answered some of my questions on why people like this book.

I think my biggest problem was the "love" between the 2--I get that she's a teen and that teens idea of love is radically different than reality. But, Edward isn't a teen. He looks like one, but he isn't (unless it's the author's intent that vampires keep their personality at the time of their 'death' and never mature--which would be STUPID).

I'll take Tricia up on her offer of a GDO, but Darth, you realize that it's for GIRLS! and you don't qualify (although you can be pretty girly sometimes). :D

darthgoofy said...

whatever... you hater

Funny Farmer said...

I agree with Happy Mommy about Edward's family. In fact, this was the one thing I really did love about the story: here are these creatures that are monsters by nature, and they are able to subject their baser desires and civilize themselves; and the result is that they increase their capacity for love. I liked that a lot.