Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Bossy Beef

I recently had a good friend be hospitalized for a very serious heart attack. We had some leftovers of Hurricane Ike on Sunday and as a result, my place of employment had no electricity. So I got a free day off yesterday. Then I found out that my friend was in the hospital and not doing well.

I'm friends with his wife and him through her. He's younger than I am and almost lost his life several times. I spent the day at the hospital to give my friend a break so she could go home and rest.

As I sat in that hospital waiting room (I came prepared--I brought several different reading materials and Mountain Dew) I was reminded constantly of my mom and the difficulties and waiting I went through when she was so sick. I realized that as I sat there yesterday what a strange blessing it was to go through that hell. I was able to help my friend in a way I never would have before. I knew how exhausted she was--how much she needed to know someone was at the hospital while she left for a little while--how to help her think of what questions to ask the doctor--what to expect now that he is doing better and will live with some serious cardiac problems--how to offer compassion and understanding with practical advice.

It was a weird moment for me as those thoughts ran through my mind. I hated having to see my mom in that situation and deal with everything that went with it. But I remember thinking at that time, that I was grateful to know what kind of person I was. I react very well in a crisis--I handle the moment and then fall apart. I always thought I was the opposite--falling apart and then trying to deal with the crisis. Now, with my friend's situation, I realized I'm the same way when it comes to other people's crisis. So often I want to help, but honestly don't know what to do. This time, I knew what to do and I just did it--didn't ask her to help or make any suggestions. Just told her I was coming and that she can leave to rest.

I suppose I wouldn't be a good Mormon if I didn't find the learning moment in this experience. What I learned was that sometimes my bossy nature is a blessing.

1 comment:

Funny Farmer said...

I love that you turned your own pain into compassion - that's the gospel at work, my dear friend.

I also like it that you are bossy.