Thursday, September 11, 2008

Manners challenged

I belong to a few online LDS forums. On one of them recently, a discussion ensued regarding wedding etiquette. And I discovered that I am manners challenged. You see, apparently it is in bad taste to mail those little cards that show where a couple is registered. I thought they were a great idea--get an invite to a barely known acquaintance and now you know what you can get them for a mere $10.00. Otherwise, I'll spend $25.00 on a gift card (I can't be that obvious in my cheapness). But, apparently, sending those in an announcement or invitation offends those who know manners.

They mentioned quite a few other issues where most people (i.e. me) lack manners. I had never worried about it before. But now I'm wondering if there is something to this.

Because, you see, I don't know what Ms. Manners would say about blog etiquette. When I visit a blog, am I required to leave a comment? What about those blogs that I visit by chance and just decide that I want to read the intimate thoughts of a complete and total stranger? Do they expect or want me to leave a comment?

And what about my blog? Do I send a thank you card to those who take the time to leave a comment? I appreciate the comments--I do! It's nice to think that someone actually took 3 min (5 min if you're a slow reader) to read my post and then actually take extra time to leave a comment. But, should I respond to that comment? If so, how? Should I make a comment myself? Do I send an email?

{big sigh} I just don't know the proper way of anything. So here's a great big thank you to anyone who takes the time to read or comment. My Target registration card is in the mail.

8 comments:

Monica said...

I love that you make me laugh!!!

Dionne said...

I'm not sure of that myself. But I can tell you that I personally love that Lisa responds so regularly in her comments. It makes me feel like we're all having a conversation.

Funny Farmer said...

Yes and the you don't respond back! What kind of conversation is that I ask you? :P

J/k - I am entirely too full of myself and will do anything to stir up more attention. Like right now!

Wheeeee!

Anonymous said...

I differ with those who say it is wrong to send out the cards! How are you suppose to know what a far away family member wants? Especially if you haven't seen them in years! I think it is a great idea! In fact for my kids birthday party invitations, I send out a paper that has information about things they enjoy and clothes sizes (etc...) so those who wish to purchase a gift for them have something to go on! My family has come back and actually thanked me for sending it with the invite. If someone thinks it is rude then they will not be getting an invite to one of my parties! -ha! So there!

~pollyanna said...

I think your manners are just fine... but you can send my thank you anytime, if'n you are still uncertain...

Melinda said...

I am also manners-challenged and think those gift registry cards are the best idea in the world. Heck, I wish people would pick out their own birthday cards and just tell me which one to buy.

Beefche said...

Well, I will certainly try to respond more in my posts since Dionne and Lisa like that interaction.

Beefche said...

Very funny, Melinda! I typically don't get people cards because most people throw them out. I might as well take my cash and put it in the trash for them. Then I could send them the full trash bag.