Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Keep your health sharp!

We had a health fair today at work. Check out your blood pressure, glucose, HDL, cholesterol, weight, and get a flu shot all provided by my place of employment. And they had yummy, healthy snacks!

I absolutely hate getting shots. Actually, anything to do with a needle. In fact, the Blood Mobile (yes, they call it that) asked me to stop donating blood because of my adverse reaction to needles--I swooned each time. Don't you like that word, swoon? It sounds so much better than faint, or pass out, or fall down and bust your bum. Anyway, I don't like needles.

Of course, the first thing they do is give me a flu shot. This nurse was good at her job--she distracted me from my childish fear of a little, bitty, sharp thing that hurts less than a paper cut.

Then they take my blood pressure. Hah! Normally, I have very good blood pressure. At my physical each year, either the doctor or nurse will comment on my excellent BP numbers (I think it's to find something positive after they check my weight). Obviously, they've never introduced me to a needle at my yearly physical. Because today, my blood pressure was VERY high. They took it 3 times--twice with the automatic cuff and once with the manual cuff.

I'm not worried about it since I normally do have good numbers, but I had to sign something that said they warned me of the danger of high blood pressure and advised me to seek medical attention. What do they know? My cure for high blood pressure is relaxing on a beach with the sound of the waves. Someplace like Hawaii would be an expensive cure for hypertension. What a coincidence--I'm going to Hawaii this Saturday!

5 comments:

Melinda said...

I have good blood pressure too, and appreciate getting compliments about it. Yeah, that's kind of a dumb thing to use to stoke my ego, but whatever I can get, I'll take. My cholesterol, on the other hand, is so bad I haven't had it tested in nearly a decade because I just don't want to know.

And I can't donate blood because of mad cow disease - I lived in Eastern Europe. Hurray for my mission! Because I don't like donating blood. I just felt obligated because I have O neg. Now I never have to donate again!

Beefche said...

Um, Melinda, I lived in Eastern Europe for my mission and after a time period (3 years? maybe?), I could donate again. I even went to South America and had to wait for a time period before I could donate again.

Sorry, ya gotta have a better reason to not donate. I suggest you start swooning...worked for me. :D

~pollyanna said...

You two are a riot! Anyone want to trade or your cholesterol, intolerance for needles or BP number after said shot for MY "health patch"...? My BP was 120/66 AFTER my shot today... and my last 30 point screening showed my cholesterol to be lower than I have any legitimate right to hope for...

You know it's really sick that I don't get to be thin... I eat really healthy and exercise every day... But I am telling you... in the next life I am going to be in SUCH great shape or I am complaining... BIG TIME!

And beefee, you better think about me just ONCE while you are lying on that beach!

Funny Farmer said...

And we are expecting pictures and postings about your amazing trip when you get back!

My blood pressure is not as low as it once was... but at least I don't get tunnel vision when I get up off the couch anymore! Spin is everything, you know.

Melinda said...

beefche, the timeline they gave me was 20 years before I could donate again because of mad cow disease. Sadly, that's up in just 5 more years. Then I'll have to find another 20-year excuse. I know I can find one!

Also, I got deferred from donating plasma for swooning, but the blood donor people still wanted me because I never actually hit the floor. I think that's what they said.