Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Miracles do happen

I know so many people loved the MTC when they served as missionaries. I was not one of them. I had such a difficult time while in the MTC. I was older than most there--I was 24 when I entered the MTC and I had already graduated from BYU. Plus, I chafed at the rules. I understood to an extent the need for such stringent rules for everything, but I felt that many of them were dumb and didn't apply to me. So I struggled.

On Sunday evenings, we always had a fireside. After the fireside, we had almost 20 min (normally, we had 5 min--20 min was near to being free!) before we had to be in our dorm. My companion and I would walk around the grounds of the MTC before retiring for the night.

On one particular night, I was really feeling the chains of all the rules. While walking, we heard the sounds of a party. In one of the homes behind the MTC grounds, there was a birthday party going on. We stopped for a moment to watch the interactions of family members. As we walked away, I commented that I wish I could sit on a real couch and put my feet on a table in front of me for just 5 minutes. Just 5 minutes.

We continued on our way and I kept this image in my head -- a comfy couch, table, and 5 minutes. We then noticed a door that was ajar in the MTC. It was definitely out of place and we decided to investigate. As we tiptoed over to the door and gently pushed it open, lo! and behold! we saw a couch and a table. Apparently we entered a spare room that a lot of furniture was kept and someone forgot to close the door.

God heard my prayer. We sat on that couch and I put my feet up for 5 minutes. As we quietly closed the door and walked back to the dorms, I was reminded once again that Heavenly Father truly does think of us even in our most selfish moments.

Another similar miracle occurred while I was at the MTC. Once again, I was chafing under all the rules and wished that I could get away from the MTC for just one hour. I told my companion that just one hour from the MTC would help to boost my spirits and give me enough fortitude to last. We were a week away from our P-day, so going to the temple was out of the question. And by this time, the Eastern bloc countries had gotten in trouble and were not allowed to walk the MTC grounds between classes. So, we sat in a classroom from somewhere around 8 am to 8 pm with about four 5 min breaks, but all we could do is go outside the building and stand for 5 min. Needless to say, I was chomping at the bit again as I felt it vastly unfair to restrict the Eastern bloc countries like that and watch all the other missionaries walk by us. I felt like a 2 year old being put in time out.

So, I'm mumbling under my breath, trying my best to not actually murmur and keep faithful, and wished with all the yearning I had to leave this prison for 1 hour. And then, the miracle happened. My companion's glasses broke. She had a strange prescription, so to simply put the lens back in was not feasible--she needed an expert to do that.

In order to leave the MTC, one had to get written permission from your branch president. I remember going with my companion to see our branch president. He interviewed both of us and tried to find other solutions to this dilemma. Finally, he sorrowfully signed our permission slip and said, "Sisters, I truly regret this, but I give you permission to go to the mall for 1 hour. That is all, just one hour--may God watch over you and keep you safe while in the world."

After rolling my eyes and wondering how he thought we would survive once we got in the mission field, we went to the bus to leave for the mall. As we sat on the bus, I realized that miracle #2 had occurred. We were going to be out of the MTC for one hour--the time I asked for.

My companion and I enjoyed that hour away (and what do you know--God saved us from all the sinners in the mall!). We were able to buy some contraband (i.e. candy) for our district and of course go to the Missionary Emporium to torment Elder G.

1 comment:

Tricia said...

My Molly Mormon image of you is shattered!