Thursday, April 17, 2008

The downside of sign language

You know those jokes that you have with friends that never die? Well, I have several. Like a couple of friends who ALWAYS talk about how I got Euchred twice while going alone. (If that sentence doesn't make sense, then please see this about one of the best card games ever.) Or the friend who teases me about groping him almost every time I see him. Or my godfather always talking about my personal way to warm him up. Here's one that I have to tease my friend about quite often.

My roommate, T., had an off again, on again relationship with her boyfriend. T. would come home and I could usually tell if it was on or off with the boyfriend. Oftentimes, she would come home exclaiming, "I'm OVER him!" Of course, the next day or two she would come home glowing and no longer over him.

It got to the point that eventually, she would just use sign language when they were off. Usually this would be her holding one arm straight out and the other arm would making an arc over straight arm. That meant she was "over" him (get it? the arm going over the other).

One day T. came home and I smiled as I noticed her glow. I asked her about her vent the day before when she was "over" him. Without saying a word, T. held out her arm straight and with the other made an arc under that arm! Now, for those who may be too innocent to understand this particular brand of sign language, if you do that to someone, it is a way to flip them off. I couldn't believe it! My angelic roommate just flipped me off! When T. realized what she had done, she quickly explained that she was no longer over him, but in love again.

Ho! That was funny. By the way, T. is no longer over him since they were married and now have 2 children.

1 comment:

Tricia said...

Thanks for the anonymity... BTW - can you add J. to your approved list of people that can read your blog? He would like to begin to read what you might be saying about him (BTW - this is J.). And this was funny... I did not know that T. needed to use sign language with regards to J. He is such a nice person.