Friday, February 15, 2008

I gotta go!

My dad is from Bulgaria. About 4 blocks from my parent's home is a traditional Bulgarian church--Bulgarian Orthodox (it's similar to Greek Orthodox and a little like Catholic). Tradition in this church is that a baby is baptized by his godfather.

My godfather was 14 years old when I was baptized. Each time (and I do mean every single time) I see him, he reminds me of a baptism that I was too young to remember.

When babies are baptized, the godfather holds the naked baby over a large, ornate bowl and the priest then scoops a handful of water to dribble over the baby's head. My story begins here. Apparently, I screamed while getting baptized. Nuno (that means godfather) was holding me and trying to calm me. But I didn't want any of that. In fact, I wanted to let him know what I was crying about. So I shared with him. He said that he realized something wasn't right when he felt something warm and wet down his front. My Nuna (godmother), his mother, relishes in telling how he kept whispering, "Mom! Mom! I think she peed!" Nuno tells me that I didn't just tinkle a little, I left a large puddle at his feet. I'm telling you, don't mess with a woman when she has to go!

No comments: