Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Giant Bee

One summer when I was really young (4 or so?), I got stung several times. I remember specifically, a huge black ant bit my little toe. Dad cut the thing in half to get it to let go. I was playing in the yard and stepped on a bee. I was playing in the water and got stung by a bee. As a result, I am terrified of bees.

Towards the end of that summer, I was playing on our porch. Next to our porch was a flower bed with lots of colorful flowers. Suddenly, I heard that buzzing sound and when I looked up, I saw the biggest bee I'd ever encountered. I ran, screaming, "Mommy! A giant bee!" Mom came running out of the house, but didn't see anything. She told me that it was just a bee and it's gone now.

So, I began playing again. Then that noise came back. I saw the giant bee again! As I screamed, Mom again came running. This time she saw the giant bee! But instead of screaming in terror, or battling it for her baby, she began laughing. Uncontrollably. I'm crying and trying hide behind her and my mother is laughing! She then explained that I wasn't looking at a bee at all. It was something called a hummingbird.

No comments: