Sunday, November 18, 2007

What's in a name?

My dad is from Bulgaria. I can't remember a time that I haven't been affected by that. I remember as a child wanting to know all about Bulgaria--who are my family? what is life like there? how do you speak the language? I knew a few words--goodnight, grandma, grandpa, black monkey.

Then, I received my mission call to Bulgaria. I was ecstatic to finally have the opportunity to answer my questions from my childhood. I cannot tell you the significance of that event on my life.

One affect is on my language. I love the Bulgarian language. I don't speak it well...it's a very rough sounding language and my tone and voice are too soft to speak it well (not to mention my memory). But I do use it when I can.

Thus, Beefche. That's pronounced Beef -chay. "Che" is a Bulgarian diminutive meaning "little or endearing." Although Beef is part of my last name, it is definitely an American spelling and pronunciation. The Bulgarian word for "thank you" is "blagodaria" and pronounced as it looks. I changed it slightly to fit my needs.

When trying to be creative and formulate a title for my blog, I thought and discarded other less-worthy versions. I like my final version. I like the alliteration and little play on words. I like paying homage to my ancestry. I like saying it.

We've come to the conclusion of our language lesson. Now go forth and begin using your lesson. Oh! One last language lesson--my last name has a Bulgarian meaning--"bully or commander." Hah! That doesn't apply to me, right?

1 comment:

Funny Farmer said...

I was hoping you would explain your blog title. Very cool and clever.

Lick A Nose, beef dear.