Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Embarrassing moments #1

I have quite a few embarrassing moments, but since I love to laugh I'm usually open to sharing them. I can only think of two moments that I don't share routinely (they are embarrassing for a reason), but the rest are open for laughter.

When leaving my mission, there were 14 of us. As we boarded the plane in Sofia, we were spread over several rows. One of the elders had a guitar that wouldn't fit in the overhead cabinet. I offered to keep it in the open seat next to me. Once we landed in Vienna, we had to debark from the back of the plane right onto the tarmac. They rolled metal stairs for us to use to debark. Since we were separated, I told the elder that I would grab the guitar and give it to him at the end of the stairs.

These stairs were so narrow that only one person could fit. I had my carry-on and his guitar case and due to the narrowness, had to put both arms in front and maneuver them to accommodate their bulky load and the stairs. As I descended, the wind blew...strongly. A gust threw the back of my skirt over my head and there was absolutely nothing I could do about it. I could feel the edge of the skirt hitting my forehead as my eyes widened and looked into the elder's widened eyes. All I could think of was my white underwear, knee-hi stockings and pasty legs flashing the person behind me. I was so embarrassed that I didn't even look to see if a man or woman saw my modesty flapping in the wind.

When I arrived at the bottom of the stairway, I shoved the guitar into the arms of the elder as I snapped, "That guitar cost me my virtue, Elder!" I think he was just as embarrassed as I....ok, no way was there equality in our humiliation. I was the one showing my assets to all...he was just waiting for his guitar.

2 comments:

Funny Farmer said...

"That guitar cost me my virtue, Elder!"

:applause:

I can so hear your voice saying that, too! Priceless.

Monica said...

YOU KILL ME!! I can now just keep smiling the rest of the day! I had heard the story before - but not the virtue comment!