Monday, April 13, 2009

Lead me, guide me, feel me up....

A couple of years ago, I was asked to substitute in the Sunbeam class at church for a couple of weeks. I love kids and looked forward to spending time with them. I prepared my lesson and made sure I used lots of stories and pictures to entertain approximately five 3 year olds.

When I got to class I was told that I had an additional 3 year old. The family had just moved in and little Andrew was in my class. This was my first time teaching Sunbeams--I've never served in Primary (although I've campaigned for it many times!).

When it came time to tell a story, we all sat down and the little ones made sure to put their chairs as close to me as possible. I had 12 little knees all touching me legs. As I began my story and held up pictures, I felt someone's little feet on my shins--just rubbing me. I didn't think much about it because all the kiddos were touching me.

As the story progressed, the little feet rubbed higher and higher until I noticed they were now on my thighs under my dress! When I looked to see whose feet were that high on my legs, I saw that Andrew, sitting directly in front of me, didn't have his feet on my thighs, but rather was using his hands to rub my legs! I quickly removed his hands, yet he kept trying to get them on my legs again. Story time was over! We switched to doing some physical activities to keep them entertained and keep Andrew from attacking me again.

The next week, I wore a longer, straight skirt. I thought that Andrew wouldn't want to try to wedge his hands underneath this skirt--I was wrong. I spent almost the whole class evading him and trying to divert his attention.

I had never been felt up by a 3 year old and have joked about it since. I didn't have the courage to say anything to his parents as they were new and I didn't really know them. After a couple of years, I finally confessed to Andrew's mom. I told her that I've joked in the past that I was molested by a 3 year old--and it was her son! She laughed and said that he has always had a fascination with women's stockings--he likes the feel of them. She was perplexed, however, when I revealed that I wasn't wearing any hosiery!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's kind of funny--in a scary sort of way. Hopefully, Mom will try and teach him something about those wonderful things we call boundaries!

Lisa/CG