Monday, November 24, 2008

Why am I single?

I think I've figured out why I'm single. I only attract gay men. Seriously.

When I was in high school, I formed a huge crush on Greg Louganis, the Olympic diver. I became a huge fan from the 1984 Olympics and whenever diving was on TV, I made sure I had a front row seat and a rag to wipe the drool from my face.

When he came to Indy for a dive meet, I was able to see him and meet him afterwards. While he was signing my program, I asked him to my prom. He was very polite and asked me when it was. Unfortunately, he had another meet that weekend and would not be able to attend. About a year or so later, I was reading an interview of him in a magazine. He was asked how he handles all the adoration. He mentioned that he has been asked on dates from young women and their mothers, asked to attend a prom (THAT'S ME!!!), and other invitations.

By the time he announced that he was gay, I had moved on in my celebrity crush cycle.

The first year that I watched American Idol, the two finalists were Reuben Studdard and Clay Aiken. I was a Clay fan from his first audition. He has such a fantastic voice in such an unlikely face. He seems to be a genuinely nice man and I enjoyed his progression throughout that season. I bought a couple of his CDs and have enjoyed them.

By the time he announced that he was gay, I had moved on to another favorite singer.

I recently traveled to Minneapolis and while there visited the Mall of America, the largest mall in the US. That place is huge and since I am so terribly directionally challenged, I got lost while in the mall. As I was contemplating the directory and how to interpret that map, a salesman approached me. He shook my hand and complimented me on the softness of my hand as well as my style of clothing. He said he knew I wasn't from Minnesota as all women from Minnesota have rough skin and wear flannel. I thanked him kindly for the compliments and then he leaned closer. He softly warned me to not hug or kiss him because he was gay.

By the time he announced that he was gay, I had moved on in my search for an escape door.

2 comments:

Funny Farmer said...

Hee hee hee! You have a seemingly unending supply of funny stories. The Greg Louganis story is hilarious! The creepy guy in the mall is... well, disturbing.

Melinda said...

But they're all such nice guys!